Sunday, December 18, 2016

Christmas Gifts

Out of the five students that I mentor at an after school program, there is one in particular that squeezes my heart a little more than the others. I have difficulty connecting with him, and I’m always trying to come up with ways to let him know that I care.

The other day was our last day before our Christmas break, so I thought I’d do something a little special for each of the students. Nothing too extraordinary, just some cute little mugs with their names on it and a package of hot cocoa with marshmallows. I thought it was a rather cute idea, and was excited to hand out the gifts.

As we were ending the afternoon and were packing up to leave the classroom, I handed the student his gift. But instead of thanking me or accepting it, he shrugged it away and said “nah, I don’t want it.”

Rather shocked that he would refuse a free gift (with marshmallows in it too!!) I asked just in case, “Are you sure? I made it for you! It even has your name on it.”

”I don’t want it.”

Not a single “Thank you, Ms. Jessica!” nor a “no thank you; I’m not a fan of hot cocoa,” or anything like that. As silly as it sounds, I felt like my gesture of love had been shot down. I stewed over it the rest of the evening and into the next day, surprised at how much it had hurt for him to deny something so menial.

But, oh, did it hurt even more when I realized the huge parallel that was drawn in this instance. I realized that this is exactly how Abba feels (times a million) when we deny His free gift

The God of the universe has wrapped His unattainable love in a package that we, by the sheer grace of God, can accept freely.  

Embroidered in the corners of His gift of mercy is our name, and though we have done nothing to deserve it, the Father bends down to us and rejoices at the thought of presenting us with this gift.

But what do we do? What do I do?

I shrug it off.

“I don’t need it, thanks anyway, Lord.”

“That’s nice, but I’m doing pretty swell on my own.”

Or sometimes it’s a brutally harsh “I don’t want your love.”

And I can only imagine God’s reaction at our denial. “Oh, my child. I did this for you. I died for you. I have called you mine since the beginning of time, and though I know every single thing you’ve ever done and said, and though I know that you don’t want this gift, it is still yours to take.

We don’t get it. Our pride and sinful nature just don’t want to accept this.

Even though the Lover of my soul is heartbroken that I would ignore His gift of everlasting love and salvation, He repeatedly offers it again. and again. and again.

And He offers it to you the same.

“For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will- to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.” Ephesians 1:4-6

“See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called Children of God! And that is what we are!” 1 John 3:1 


May this Christmas season remind you of the beautiful gift that has been made available to us. ❤

1 comment: