Saturday, November 29, 2014

Silent Praises


The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
{Psalm 19:1-4a}



I was reading through this the other day, and I realized something. Numerous times the Bible mentions creation praising the Creator. Even the heavens and sky as mentioned above! I've known this for a long time, but something I didn't really catch was the fact that David specifically mentions in those verses that these creations have no speech, no sound. They can not verbally praise their Master, yet their voices still travel throughout the entire universe. Why would David write that? We all know that the stars can't talk. No one has ever heard a cloud say "Thank you, Lord!" So what's the purpose in stating the obvious?

His reason is this: We as humans are the only ones gifted with speech. God created us specially for speaking, and we have the privilege to verbally praise his name. This blew my tiny little mind. What a gift! What an incredible opportunity! To be the ONLY creation that can form words and ideas from our lips.

But do we use this for praising our Master? Or do we take this extraordinary gift for granted? Do we glorify God with our lips? Or do we use our words to build ourselves up?

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness." -James 3:9

We have no excuse. The sky can praise the Lord, and it can't even talk. We can talk, but do we praise the Lord?

How will I use this gift?
How will you?

"Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth. Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples." -Psalm 96:1-3

"Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands." -Psalm 63:3-4

"May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." -Psalm 19:14


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment