Monday, July 1, 2013

Beauty Unfading

Beauty unfading. What does it mean? Do you think of those gorgeous girls that appear everywhere…perfectly smooth skin, bold eyes, a million dollar smile and hips that attract eyes when they float down the sidewalk?
  I remember reading a verse in 1 Peter that said
“Your inner beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”
At first, I really didn’t like reading it. In fact, people would share it with me, and inside I would get offended. I remember thinking “what? So for me to have worth in God’s sight I can’t look good? What kind of a ‘loving God’ is that?!”
  Okay, I’m going to go off on a rabbit trail here. (If you plan on reading many of my posts, you should get used to it) I’m a teen girl. I like clothes. I like looking good. I mean, we’re talking about the girl that scans through store sites to see what I can buy next…and then look through all of my friends/friends of friends facebook pictures to see if its “in” or not. I. Love. Clothes. And hair? Don’t get me started. I can easily spend 2 hours trying out hairstyles, just to take a million pictures that no one will ever see. I. Love. Hair.
So. Now that you get the picture of how I am, can you imagine me reading that? I kind of freaked out. But after a loooonnnggg time of reading it over and over and different people giving me their own personal opinion of it, I started to understand the point.
  Let’s dig into the verse a little. The first part says “your inner beauty..”
  “ooohh” you say. “one of those ‘your soul’ verses huh?” well. In a way, yes. And in a way, no. So what is inner beauty you say? It is a willing heart that is ready for God to mold and change constantly. It is a willing spirit ready for whatever task  The writer is saying this: Don’t spend tons and tons of time looking good, just for others approval. Other people’s opinions won’t last, but God will. Clothe yourself with the things that will last in God’s sight, like purity, self control, gentleness, love for the people who don’t love you..those kinds of clothes are what’s important.
  It’s easy for us girls to get caught up in the glamour, clothes, hair, makeup and so on and so forth. But when it boils down to it..is that what will satisfy you for the rest of your life? Is your outer beauty what will save you when you’re in a rut? If you said yes, then please, hear this truth. You are loved more than you will ever know. By someone who died to know you. He doesn’t love you for your appearance, whether or not your having a good hair day..or if what you’re wearing is “in” or not. He loves you because you are you, and that is beautiful. 
  Christ wants our all..not our sometimes. Decide to give Him your everything, and trust Him enough to set aside your appearance worries. When you do..it becomes a beauty that is literally unfading.

No comments:

Post a Comment